Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Now, as a policy, I don't put up any of my poetry. But, I have decided to make an exception. Not because I think this poem is extraordinary, but because this is the first of my poems to appear anywhere. I'm not too sure about IPR issues with respect to putting up something one has already submitted somewhere and it was published, when one was the author of it....but I will worry about that only if I have to....or when I learn about IPR in fourth year, and my conscience gets the better of me. So well....here it is....my first poem to actually appear somewhere...it is now in the public domain, and I don't have to face my usual fears of someone snitching something off my blog.

What I Nearly Missed

A day grappling with the Constitution,
Nightmarish Articles and rights.
Project submissions threateningly near,
Stress levels were reaching new heights.

As evening clouds hung low, swollen with rain,
My weekly pilgrimage began.
An hour of traffic jams before I’d reach,
Nothing comforts, the way home can.

On the way, though, was a chore to complete,
A task I’d not done in a month.
But the ride was long, and I, all but gone,
And tempted to play the truant.

The rain became heavy, I had no choice,
Paid my fare and ran in the door.
Worship had begun, I hid in the crowds,
Tired and wet; chilled to the core.

There was love in the music, warmth in song,
My chilled soul thawed as I stood still.
Not for long; something raised my weary arms,
An unseen power, did that room, fill.

It was wonderful, the joy that I felt!
Praising Him-pleasure in itself!
Energy from somewhere, reviving me,
Alive! Forgot books on their shelf.

An hour, spent with people I didn’t know,
Yet bound; All saved by the same God.
I felt rejuvenated; this was home!
All gathered, to worship one Lord.

Meeting ended, I walked into the night,
Cold winds; but I barely noticed.
My faith was renewed; I felt ecstatic…
Imagine what I nearly missed!

3 comments:

vikramhegde said...

Thank god I get to see the poem somewhere. That newsletter was not opening on my comp at all. It is pretty good...

The Walrus said...

interesting poem. but my question is, did you write the poem in one sitting or did you do it in parts?

RAP said...

I did it in one sitting. I think there has been only one poem so far, which became a lot better when I did it in several sittings.....otherwise, I general find that I lose the mood of the poem or what I am trying to say, when I do it in more than one sitting.

And thank you! Vikram and Krishna! :-)