Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ten Little Indians


View from a lonely graveyard on a hill near the sea.







First there were ten
Now there are three
Everyone's gone
'cept two and me
















I have a room to clean and hair to wash, but since it has been so very long since I have felt the urge to blog, it seemed only right to give in to it. Two years have flown by, and I cannot help but think of the beginning when ten little Indians (not quite accurate, but following from the nursery rhyme) arrived in Big City, to experience a new way of life and see where it took us. And I remember, even further back in time, when five of the ten, during a whiz trip to Big City, after a long and ravenous search for a restaurant with a decent vegetarian menu and being forced to give away chocolate to a passing waif, settled for a Lebanese joint in Ca**ing Town, and laughed at how we would come back here, years in the future and fight to pay the bill. Back then, three units of Big City money, translated to such a large number of rupees it seemed such a waste to eat it all in one meal (at least it did to me)!

Time marched on, and some of the ten grew fatter and ponchier (I did) and some absorbed Big City style and panache (I'd like to think I did); we travelled, we danced, we took tons of photographs, we developed the dark circles and insomnia that the Wharf invariably brings, we lived in our little flats, mostly as satellites around the Wharf, and swapped awful landlord stories (Pijeon, not my present landlords of course, I mean my previous one) and made the best use of our time in Big City. We never went back to Ca**ing Town for dinner, but, well, by then we had found better places to dine at (and who has their first Big City dinner there anyway, right?).

And now the two years are over. The mass exodus from Big City began last month (well, actually it began six months ago with the first little Indian who answered the call of Lit). Most of the little Indians are moving on to new and exciting experiences always craved, or going in search of new and exciting experiences to crave.

I knew some of you better than others, but all of you hold a place in my memory and I will miss your faces around the Wharf. So thank you - for the fun, the food, a listening ear, a hug when needed, tips about departments and supervisors, being my travelmate, taking an awesome fb profile picture, keeping a transcript of the Cluedo game, being my partner getting through exams, being an awesome flatmate, being a hospitable neighbour, helping me figure out Rita Ora lyrics ("Let's party and whaaaat?"), being an oasis of home abroad and just generally, being around and making the transition to Big City life a lot easier! Good luck with Lit, Marriage, Entrepreneurship, Policy, Singland and/or the Great Unknown and I hope our paths cross again in the future!

4 comments:

veela said...

Love it! And nostalgia reigns bright in your heart and mine...

S. Susan Deborah said...

Another departure? Life is crazy.

Wishing you the best with all your journeys.

Joy always,
Susan

Gautam Bhatia said...

See. I came to read. :)

RAP said...

Gautam Bhatia: Yay! :-)

Susan: Thank you.....but I'm staying in the same place while friends are moving on....so it's not quite the same place any more I suppose!